Saturday, December 27, 2008

All is Merry and Bright

I was cooking up a storm for 2 weeks. I had been planning for 2 months. I had sent the schedule to everyone arriving and planned corresponding activities for each day. 13 family members were coming to my house for Christmas, and I was ready to make it fabulous. You know, hostess with the mostest. I couldn't wait to hear:

*Wow, Sara, what a fun and organized holiday you've arranged for all of us!
*What delicious meals! Can I have the recipe?
*I'm having so much fun, we'll have to do Christmas every year at your house!

Then, the big bummer happened. My husband had knee surgery and I got strep throat the day before everyone arrived. My beautiful plan came crashing down before my eyes.

After my penicillin shot, I had to rest and recover for 24 hours, leaving my family to fend for themselves. As I drifted in and out of consciousness, I thought about the mints I was going to leave on everyone's pillow and the homecooked dinner I needed to get started. I couldn't even lift my head from my pillow to greet everyone, though.

Then, a really beautiful and unplanned thing happened. My precious family took over my meals, my grocery trips, (I believe we were at 9 when they left yesterday), my son's care, my husband's post-surgery care and clean-up duty.

I actually went to my room and wept at the love I felt. It hit me: this is family. I don't think they cared that I couldn't do it all. I desperately needed them, and they took care of everything, right down to Kleenex with lotion and extra paper towels.

I've never had such an incredible Christmas, or a more timely lesson about what's important in life.

Merry, merry Christmas!

No comments: