Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Everest

Ever see the "Friends" episode where Joey tries to eat an entire Thanksgiving turkey by himself?  He looks at the bird, sighs and proclaims, "YOU ARE MY EVEREST!" 

Potty training is MY Everest.

I tried last summer when all of my mommy friends, (who ALL have girls), successfully potty trained their princesses in , like, an hour.  After cleaning poo off the carpet for the 5th day in a row, I declared that he could wear diapers for the rest of his life for all I cared.  And I put the training pants away and waited until I saw some "signs of readiness."

Dude, here's the big secret:  a boy will never show a sign of readiness because having to go to the bathroom interrupts his playing time and it's easier if he can just doodie in the diaper and keep on playing.  And, when it is convenient for him, mommy can clean him up.

I've been duped by a 3-year-old.

Mr. Diaper Lover insists that he needs diapers, no matter how many pairs of cool underwear I buy for him, (Buzz Lightyear, pirates, trains.....)  We told him that the diapers are going in the trash this weekend.  He cried.  He yelled.  He wanted to put in an emergency call to Granny.  Too bad for him that we are ALL tired of changing nasty diapers.

Saturday is D-Day for him.  My husband and I are devoting the entire day to the "Progressive Potty Training Method."  Basically, all we do for a day or two is potty train and reinforce it.   I have all of the necessary items.  I am determined to be positive and pleasant.  I am ready and motivated.

Please pray that I do not lose my christianity on Saturday.

Amen.

2 comments:

Sarah Bessey said...

Power to the parents!

(And good luck! I am terrible at potty training as well. I'm even less interested in it than Joe is at this point. Took me a year to train my daughter. I figure when Joe is three I might think about it. Might.)

Brian and Julie Woolery said...

Sara - I don't think I've congratulated you yet on your pregnancy... Congratulations! I'm SO excited for you, and I pray this is a peaceful pregnancy and it goes by fast. ;) And your everest is also my everest... please keep me updated about how it goes for you this weekend... we're about to do the same thing next week! love ya!