Wednesday, July 14, 2010

An Open Letter to Grooms

I gotta get this out. I meet with brides and grooms almost every weekend to talk about their wedding plans; and I see too much of the Completely-Bummed-Out-Groom. I totally understand that planning a wedding is more for the girls...but we need to talk.....

Dear Groomies,

You can summon a decent amount of enthusiasm to display for your bride as she talks about her wedding day. Slumping in your chair and staring at the ground is better left for the pouting toddlers when they don't get their way. Also, it is never advisable to blurt out, "I don't even want to do this." If you don't want to get married, grow a pair and break up with her; don't propose.

By supporting your bride through this process, you are showing that you will make a wonderful husband. Marriage involves being excited about your spouse's interests. And, here's an inside tip: she'll remember this on the honeymoon, dude.

Here are some appropriate responses to help you through this process:

1. Honey, I just want to marry you. Whatever you plan is great!
2. You're so beautiful I won't notice anything else.
3. All I care about is that, at the end of the day, you'll be my wife. (Had a groom say this once; I melted.)

Here are some inappropriate discussion topics:

1. The flask you want to have in your tuxedo jacket.
2. Your longing to fly to Vegas and "get it over with."
3. The only thing you're excited about being the bachelor party.

You're welcome. Now man up, put on a happy face and let's talk centerpieces.

Respectfully,
Your Wedding Planner

No comments: