Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mooched Mommy Idea #11

This one comes from my parenting guru: Aunt Molly. Seriously, go hang with any of her 4 kids and you will know how awesome she is. I'm currently trying to steal one of them, hire the other, and have to wait for the other 2 to graduate before I have all 4 in Tulsa. (insert: evil laugh)

Anywhoo, one of the things that she told me that stuck was: say "yes" as much as you can, and they will include you in their plans. If you say "no" all of the time, they do it anyway behind your back.

I catch myself saying "NO!" all day. It is becoming an act of will to say "yes" more than I say "no." If I'm being totally honest, I usually tell him "no" because it's more convenient for me. Saying "yes" means that there will probably be a bigger mess, more noise and a big chance for embarrassment.

So, here's to saying and enthusiastic "YES!" to big freaking messes and not wincing when he eventually pulls my couch cushions and mattresses out on the lawn to jump off the roof.



*I need to ask Aunt Molly if she had a secret margarita machine to get through parenthood.

4 comments:

Nathan V. said...

Hey, my parents didn't even find out we pulled the couch cushions and mattress outside to jump off the roof until after they saw the video we made! I need to buy my son a camera. :)

Casey said...

Love this post! I had to learn that as well. I try to say "yes" as much as possible too, because I find myself yelling NO all day long if I don't. It is much harder to say "yes" totally! Much more work, but much happier childhood!

Dorynda said...

oh my word! read the blog i just wrote! totally a yes moment! love this one!

Sarah Bessey said...

Love this! I'm totally in this stage with Joe right now and I hate hearing the word "no" come from me so often. I try to vary it but it still amounts to constant curbing. Great perspective!