Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Preschool and My Poor, Broken Heart

My baby started preschool today.

When did this guy become ready for freaking preschool:



I spent the morning carefully packing his school lunch, nap mat, blankie and bag. I spent more time obsessing about how he would handle it. Would he cry for me? Would he adjust well? Would he make friends? Is he ready for this? What if someone tries to sell him drugs? Why am I a freak?

You know, the usual questions.

Like so many mommies before me, I cried when I left him in his class. I went straight to Wal-Mart and bought him a fancy lunch sack with a football on it. Cause apparently that's important and he didn't have one.

I spent my 5 hours alone catching up on housework, working on weddings, obsessively checking my phone and calling my Mom to obsess a little more. Then it hit me, I have no idea what to do with myself.

Perhaps I should work on that.

5 hours later, I was the first Mom there to pick up their kid. I wasn't even embarrassed. With much apprehension, I walked to his room and held out my arms. He ran to me, jumped in my arms and declared, "PWEEschool is fun!"

And then we went for icecream to celebrate that we both survived.

2 comments:

The Mills Gang said...

Congrats!! Preschool is a big deal and I'm glad he had fun! Don't worry though, you will get used to your "alone time" and you will look forward to it! Promise!!

Casey said...

I hate to be the "downer" here.....but it only gets worse. Sorry. But a true friend will not sugar coat it. Charli started Kindergarten this year and my BABY started 2-day-a-week preschool. The month of August almost brought a mental/emotional/nervous breakdown for me. I seriously wept the entire month. UGH. I want time to freeze!! Its too much for me to handle. p.s. I also don't have any idea what to do with myself while they are gone. I have sort of dreamed about a few free hours in the day and how relaxing it would be, and now I want them back....ahhh, a mmommy's love :)