Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Hard Question

Recently, I was asked by The Contemplative Tulsan to be a guest blogger. Aside from my insensitive comments about mini-vans, the response seems to be positive. One question he asked, however, always trips me up:

What's your favorite thing about being a Mom?

Geeze; that should be easy to answer. I'm asked that question quite often, and I am still unable to put it into words. It all boils down to him. He's the best thing about being a mommy. All of those hundreds of ways he enriches my life and pushes my buttons. And steals my sleep. And my cookies. How could I sum this up:

-Waking up every morning to "Hi Mommy!" and getting a big kiss.
-Nap time when he wraps his little arms around my neck and puts his head on my chest.
-He closes his eyes when I ask him to do something he doesn't want to do.
-He puts himself in time-out when he feels he deserves it, then says "sorry" and offers a conciliatory hug.
-He celebrates when I make a dessert. "Oh Mommy! Nummy! Nummy!"
-He's excited to see me when I pick him up from Sunday School.
-He makes me feel like my kisses have magical healing powers.
-He finds joy in everything.
-Those dark, brown eyes and the way he wiggles his hands and says, "Hold you! Hold you!"
-He has the best toys his grandparents could find, and he is happiest in the mud with a stick.
-Every song is an occasion to dance.

So, to sum up; it's him. All 30 pounds of him.


Having a "nummy."

3 comments:

Tracey said...

About "closing his eyes when he doesn't like something"...I saw him do that last time I was there and it shocked me...it looked exactly like what my brother, his great uncle Kim does! His uncle Ty does it too! Isn't legacy amazing??

Anonymous said...

I close my eyes too. Isn't that only one removed????oxoxo Granny

Sarah@EmergingMummy said...

it is hard to articulate without resorting to cliches, isn't it? Any words you can use seem cheap and overused. But you're right - it's just them. Being with them, loving them, knowing them. What a gift! you are an amazing mother.